Monday, August 17, 2015

Goals 9 and 46: Recognition

Working hard sometimes lends itself to accomplishments that are out there for others to witness. I'll cover a couple times that was the case for me.

Goal 9: Get published
This one is a little short from the strong form of the goal because I was published in conference proceedings. I'm not picky. I managed to scoop up three conference paper acceptances in my last year at Stanford in three different fields.

The first was an international collaboration with some Finnish researchers who were looking into process and information flows while I was looking at how metadata reflected those flows. It was accepted and published in Aalto University's CO-CREATE 2013 proceedings, and was called "Collaboration and contracts in Integrated Project Delivery – Exploring the roles of owners and architects" and I had five co-authors.
Figure 1: Figure 3 from the paper

The second (in acceptance timeline) was a related paper diving deeper into the possibility of using metadata to determine issues with information flow. This time in a more prestigious worldwide civil engineering conference, CIB W78. The paper is called "Automatic Alert System: Improving Information Management on Construction Projects," and is so prestigious you can't even view it without being registered.

The final (and most fun) paper was published at IDEMI 2013 (Porto University), and was called "Using a "Dark Horse" Prototype to Manage Innovative Teams," based on the Dark Horse Prototype that we use as a teaching tool for the ME310 curriculum. The other two TA authors and myself were able to fly out to Porto, Portugal to present this paper.


Flying into Porto seeing the characteristic red roofs

We took a train out to the vineyard towns.

All around there was fabulous tile on all the buildings.




Some of the tile came together to make a beautiful piece of street art.


Mos to the tile was just patterns.





Goal 46: Create something that gets patented

I actually thought I would get this one sooner based on some work I did in undergrad...and then maybe on some I did in grad school...but actually, I had to wait until I was working at Apple...well, two years after that. My first design patent was published in June of this year. Ok, so maybe it's true my name isn't even associated with that at all, but that's ok, I know I created that design.
Patented battery design
What a beautiful object



Skybridge Porto

Status: Pleased



No comments:

Post a Comment