Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Goals 56 and 57: Food and Drink

Goal 56: Consume something older than I am
This one is an important one to do sooner rather than later, because it only gets more difficult and more expensive as time goes on...I guess there was an opportunity here to knock out both 56 and 57 with the same something?

Without breaking the bank, and without disclosing my age here, I found 30yr old Krohn Port at my local Bevmo. I don't remember what we were celebrating, maybe the end of finals? Not sure...but my roommates and I celebrated with some drink that had been around longer than my body.

I saw the Krohn factory(?) when I was in Porto.
It was an aged tawny port, and was a delicious blend of maple syrup and deep red wine.
My roommates Sebastian and Dylan
Goal 57: Consume something that costs more than $100
My perception of things have changed quite a bit since I wrote the goals (that's a given, I suppose). $100 is still expensive for something you consume, right? Well it is for me.

On my second trip to China I was with some friends and we went out to a nice place on the Shanghai Bund called The Roosevelt. I wanted to take advantage of the group I was with, and I wanted to celebrate with ordering something I wouldn't normally, so I shared a $300 tomahawk steak with two colleagues--certainly the most expensive thing I had ever ordered.

Unfortunately I didn't get any pictures before we started eating it...and unfortunately this picture isn't very good at all.

The steak was delicious, but I must say that it did not meet my expectations. Not this, nor anything else since that I've paid greater than $100 for, have I found to be worth the difference in price from a more palatably priced item.

Skybridge Shanghai

Status: Satisfied

No comments:

Post a Comment