Monday, August 17, 2015

Goals 4 and 15: Traveling After Grad School and before Apple

This post is going up many hours after the previous post. Some might call that a gap in time. Well, I have some more goals completed. Yes it's true that some of these were completed past the deadline, but I'm going to be embarking on a whole new list of goals, and I can't just put these on since they're already done.

Goal 4: Go to Hawaii
Right after I graduated from Stanford I went to Maui, Hawaii for a week. Oddly enough there is no "welcome to Hawaii" sign, so you'll just have to believe me. We went for a sail.

Blue ocean and mountain islands.
We went for a snorkel and walked around the island towns. Chilled on beaches, some nude.



We went for a climb and a drive.

Climbing the middle mountains.
 And ended up doing a full island-round. Seeing the whole island included dessert, forest, mountains, islands, neighborhoods, small cities, sugar cane, and lots of ocean. It was a great trip.
Pools of Hana were probably my favorite with waterfall jumping and a beautiful drive.
Goal 15: Go to Alaska
It was getting to be my final weeks before starting my job at Apple. I had lots of different plans after graduating (such as the above trip to Hawaii), and I wanted to do a road trip up north to see my family in Oregon and see the places I hadn't been to in a while.

I started by hauling it through Oregon all the way to Seattle, where I would meet up with my old best friend Eric. We went crabbing, collected hay, and rented a boat to see seals and cause trouble with.

Eric under the Tacoma Narrows Bridge

Gathering hay for the farm.

After deciding I wasn't going to be able to drive all the way to Alaska, I decided to purchase a plane ticket to Alaska for 2 days at the airport. And so I went. To Alaska

Make that 49 states checked off my list.
I rented a car (Subaru), which was basically the only decision, and commenced driving across the state starting in Anchorage. I headed towards Denali.


I came across a birch tree syrup farm. Bought some syrup. Who knew?

I found some canoes that weren't locked up, so I took a lovely little boat ride around a lake. 
I drove out west through mountains to a more isolated town that had a cruise I could take to go see some glaciers.

Because the cruise was more out of the way, we got to see some remote glaciers, and even found ourselves in a sperm whale feeding frenzy.

I continued to drive around and see endless beauty. 

Skybridge Anchorage

Status: Wishing I had more energy to write this entry about a very awesome few weeks.


No comments:

Post a Comment