Thursday, March 11, 2010

Goals 40, 97, 100: Belgium

March 3rd to 7th marked a trip to a country of B's. The beautiful and bright country of Belgium. In Belgium, we went to the Cities of Brussels, Gent, and Brugges(?), and had quite a time exploring without any real direction or instruction, besides knowing that Saturday was going to be Museum Night Fever, a museum extravaganza featuring 20 museums in Brussels.

Goal 97: Make Street Art
Because we travelled in a group of 9 people, we split up into two different groups of couchsurfers, and one group of 5 had to mix up our plans a bit when they decided to stay in Gent. A trip to Gent had been a possibility, and so this change of plans was welcome, and gave us business for our first day.

Gent was a beautiful little city with cute architecture everywhere. I got on a boat with Aaron Kahn after jumping some fences, and later we found a little alleyway with some really excellent street art on it that looked like a huge crossword puzzle. So guess what we did before we left.

It was a multinational wall with many different languages, so all of us chose a few words to add, and I added words from four different languages that I am fluent in.

Playa - Spanish - "beach" (not "Playa" in ebonics)

Progress was the group contribution to the wall. We made Progress the theme of this trip after reminiscing about a previous roadtrip to Canada.

Mycket - Swedish - "Very"
also
Et - French - "And"

Molto - Italian - "Very"

Design. My personal English contribution.

We also made additions in Finnish and Bulgarian.

Goal 100: Get In Brugge


The next day we got In Bruges.




"It's like a postcard"

This is the tower in Bruggs that guy jumps off an 'spodes all over the ground in the movie.



Look at this dog. He just sits there, like a dog. All day. This is his window in Brugges.

We just happened to be there on the day that there was only 100 days of school left. All of the highschoolers and youngons take to the streets in ridiculous attire, and hit eachother with shaving cream and flour. This is called "The 100 Day Ravage." We went to a club bar, and it was about 3:00pm, it was selling meters of beer, and had a full nightclub going, equipped with all the kiddies you could handle. This is the beer I drank in Brugge.

There are two famous green boxes that sell Belgish food at the town square in Brooge. Apparently it's an age old competition between the two, and we chose the one on the right for whatever reason.


We played ping pong at our couchsurfer's house in Bruge.



"If I grew up on a farm, and was retarded, Bruges might impress me but I didn't, so it doesn't." -Colin Farrell in In Bruges

Goal 40: Perform a Heist
In Brussels, we attended Museum Night Fever, and at the Museum of Brussels, there was an odd arrangement of clothes and costumes that people were dressing up in and taking pictures with.

All of the stuff was just layin there on the table, with nothing really to do except to get wrangled and touched by all of these filthy museum-goers.

So I decided to wrangle some up and pick out some wicked awesome rags to take a few pictures in. This picture is of me shortly after scoring an ace and winning the Wimbelton cup.

There was a blonde wig that was pretty popular among our group.

So then I was getting ready to take this sweater off that was way cooler than anything else I own, and I started to reconsider.

Rather than be torn from an existence without the green sweater...I heisted it.
I own it now.

Status:

2 comments:

  1. I loved all the pictures!!! Those are gorgeous. I also loved the movie In Bruges. Side-note. "Et" en Francais is "and," not "the." I question your fluency. hehe I hope all is well! I'm lovin' the updates. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! How embarrassing! I'll fix that right up!
    AND thank you :)

    ReplyDelete