Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Goals 11 & 14: Paris

Our first weekend long (6 day) trip, we went to Paris. We stayed with two most excellent couchsurfers, and did about every touristy thing you can imagine, and then some stuff that was not so touristy (like a catacomb party).

This post comes a little late, as Paris happened about 3 weeks ago now, but better late than never, right? While I was in Paris, I completed two of my goals, to see the Eiffel tower, and to go to Disneyland Paris. The Eiffel Tower was almost the first thing we saw, and we wouldn't see it again until just before we left.

Goal 14: See the Eiffel Tower



The work was really something. It was so industrial, yet so elegant. Such a symbol of industrial revolution, it was beautiful. It was really something to see THE tower that is featured in countless everythings.





Goal 11: Go to Disneyland Paris

Get ready for castle.....

Sleeping Beauty's castle was very ornate and...pink. It was a very nice castle, but I thought it a little cheezy. Was it really necessary to include Tinkerbell frozen in flight around the top steeple?

That is where my complaining about the castle ends, because everything else about it was excellent. You can actually go INSIDE of this castle, and it's filled with custom embroidery and stained glass that was beautiful.


The Fantasyland that the castle was connected to was also really good. It really gave the impression of a medieval little village, all joined up and part of the castle. I was a big fan of that.





Called "Tic and Tack", I'm pretty sure Chip and Dale were getting pissed at me for calling them by their American names. BUT, if that was the case, they certainly didn't show it. All of the characters were super chipper and fun to play with. Probably because it was a cold day, and there weren't many people in the park. Chip...Tic...Took the above picture on my camera for me.

Hollywood Studios is also part of the Disneyland Paris Resort.






Paris was a good little trip. Baguettes every day, Nutella every night. I saw epic and historic things every day, which was pretty neat in itself. Things like the Arc de Triomphe and the Mona Lisa make an impact on your memory once you've got your own point of view on them.

Although we did do lots of things, coming home I felt like I had not accomplished much more than being a tourist. Although we did do stuff a little out of the ordinary, such as the catacomb party, or the farmers market, we mostly stuck to the typical sightseeing things. Although I understand the necessity to get this kind of thing out of the way, future trips should be as much without the plain as possible.



2 comments:

  1. Your pictures of the Eiffel Tower are amazing! Disneyland Paris looks pretty cool, too. :-) It's okay to be a tourist once in awhile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. Typically I like to play the tourist role for the first day or two and then explore other options. I've certainly never been to a catacomb party!

    ReplyDelete