Saturday, July 24, 2010

Goals 47, 62, & 96: Playing Catch Up

There are some goals that I've completed that I haven't actually reported on because of their un-pictureness in nature. They've occurred over the last few months, and I'll take this post to tell the stories of how I progressed through them.

Goal 47: Turn Down a Good Job

Before and during my trip to Sweden (and Europe in general (and a bit of Africa)) I applied to various jobs of the internship nature. A few notable ones were with Sandia National Laboratories (SNL), Kirkland Airforce National Research Laboratories (AFRL), and Louisiana Energy Services (LES).

Well, after about three months of waiting and doing other things, I received an e-mail from AFRL letting me know that I had received a tentative job offer, and that I had ten days to respond. I was excited at first that I had already heard back, but I wasn't completely sure this was what I wanted to do for the summer, and I had not heard back from anyone else. So sent some friendly reminders to those I was waiting on, and began the initial steps with AFRL. Ten days passed in an uneventful way, and they began sending me hiring paperwork to fill out, and fill it out, I did.

Shortly after I was basically bombarded with notifications and tentacle offers. It was like spinning the lever on a jack-in-the-box for a few turns before noticing there was a toy that was already ready to play with, but didn't share any qualities with an explosion, then the jack-in-the-box explodes on it's own and you suddenly find yourself in dilemma.

I promptly declined most of the new offers to avoid hassle, but SNL notified me that I should have a job as soon as they get the paperwork processed. This was something I was willing to risk my reputation for at AFRL, so I let them know that I needed more time before making a final decision (because just because SNL said they had a place for me doesn't guarantee anything). I received emails that looked something like:

Hey Tyler,

What do you mean you need more time? You already accepted the offer bro.

-Your future boss

Needless to say, I was concerned, and I had to send about five e-mails to managers, HR reps, and the director of the summer program that went something like:

Yo dood,

I thought that offer was tentative? What does that even mean? LOL! Anyway, I can't accept the offer yet man. Dat coo'?

-Me

Nearly a month passes, and I'm starting to get worried, because AFRL is gunna be pissed if I turn them down at this point, but I wasn't going to be suckered into doing a job that wasn't my best option for the summer, even if it did pay twice as much as I've ever made in my life, and feature the mad triple Bs: Babes, Bling, and Benefits.

In the end, SNL finally offered me a job. I turned down AFRL in an email that didn't explain to them how they were the less-appealing best-friend-sister that I was hoping I didn't have to go to prom with if I could get with the sister whom I found much more attractive. But the best friend sister would have been a great date too.

O HI AGAIN!

I CAN'T WORK THERE LOL! SORRY!

-Me

Goal 62: Keep a Travel Blog


Goal 96: Submit new work to a Photoshop Competition

I went back to the site that developed my skills in Photoshop, FreakingNews.com.


PacMan Garden - 4th Place


Zebraroo - 2nd Place

Pinkker - 7th Place

No winners yet though, so I'll be reporting goal 10 later.

No comments:

Post a Comment