Friday, January 6, 2012

Goal 34 & 73: Farewell Friends

My time at Walt Disney World was amazing, spectacular, shufflicious, and all too short. My crew there was easily the most energetic and exciting group of friends I've ever had. As the summer came to an end, I transitioned from coast to coast, from industry to academia, paid to poor. But there was plenty of fun before all that..

The shufflin' crew's very own Sydney Moeller planned a trip to Savannah, Georgia one weekend. A beautiful place of Southern charm, we were all drawn to the Craft Brew festival that would occur there. I didn't buy an advance ticket for $10 off online, which ended up being an advantage, because Jimmy managed to find his way in without using his, so we split the cost of one. Once inside, we drank the finest brews from around the country.



After a while we were feeling pretty confident, and started touring behind the scenes of the conference center. I found an inspiring doorway.

The brewfest was quite nice, but there were more important things to be done whilst in Savannah...

Goal 34: Get Crabs at THE Crab Shack
For many years my parents have told me about The Crab Shack in Savannah, and I've always wondered what it might be like to actually go, with the garbage can holes, and the platters of crabs. If we were going to Savannah, I simply had to go.


We ordered blue crab, dungeness crab, and snow crab, and they arrived on platters of delicious. We spent over an hour devouring the crabmatter. Dungeness crab is what I grew up on, so I'm drawn to it as the delicacy of my youth. It has substantial meat in the legs, and is sweet with a savory finish. Snow crab is the most common, and tastes very sweet. It's delicious, and I've sometimes compared the taste to fresh shrimp. Blue crab...well, um...I dunno. In all honesty, I don't remember the blue crab, except I know the legs were small, and had appropriately sized chunks of meat, resulting in a relatively low efficiency scour.


The next day we went to the Lady and Son's restaurant, the one chef'd by Paula Dean. I buffet'd the crap out of myself.




We also went to the beach to play some baller volleyball, and we toured around Savannah. It was a great final trip to take with the crew. Once we came back, it seemed like the final weeks flew by. They were filled with shuffling everyday, 80's nights, dinner out, goodbyes, and even....



Goal 73: Go Paintballing
A group of co-workers invited everyone out on a paintballing expedition. It may have had something to do with Livingsocial, or Groupon, but I don't recollect.

I had a rootin' tootin' 'ol time, shootin' up the place.

A nice overcast day, by the end of it we were all soaked from sweating through our clothes in the humidity.



(Savannah Skybridge)

Status: Overdue




No comments:

Post a Comment