Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Goal 12: Christmas Presents and the Winter Wonderland Ball

In an earlier post I displayed some graphic design I had done for a friend, for a fundraising Winter Wonderland Ball she was organizing. As time went on, I was called for more and more input, and in the end it worked to complete a goal of mine.

The tickets and programs came out pretty well. They weren't professionally printed (or cut) so some of the fliers got printed crooked, and some of the tickets were cut crooked. But the girls saved a lot of money doing it that way, so it's not really my place to say anything.

[When I find them, I will upload pictures of the program and Tickets]

Goal 12: Sell a Piece of Art

After talking about the ball, and many of the deets, Anna asked if I knew anyone who could make a donation to the silent auction. Unless the bal-goers are interested in some lumber or political bumper stickers, I'm not too well connected in that area. BUT, I could always make something myself. I offered to make a painting similar to the one I had just given her for Christmas.

This is what I did for Christmas this year as far as my friends go. They were all made on variously sized, flat canvasses, and the quotes were typed on a Remington Rand, full manual typewriter. The quotes were specifically matched to the receiver of the gift.











But for the church auction, I knew I should make something a little more than a flat canvas with my face on it. I wanted it relevant, and worthwhile. I spent some time thinking, and eventually created two pieces on 20" x 16" canvas, one of Mother Theresa and the other of John Paul II. I had never made stencils this large before, but it turned out to be quite easy. I made them in my backyard the night before the event.



On Saturday, January 29, the Winter Wonderland Ball commenced.






The last I checked, my two paintings made $127.00 for Immaculate Conception Parish. Everyone I talked to decided that this was confirmation that I had become an 'artist.' I also received lots of interest from people who lost the bidding war, so perhaps I will start making things more often.

Status:

No comments:

Post a Comment